Subject: Re: TCPA Driver for NetBSD
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/11/2003 09:21:29
--IrhDeMKUP4DT/M7F

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 11:09:09PM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>=20
> On Dec 10, 2003, at 5:41 PM, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>=20
> >Actually, given that, what you need to implement is an LPC bus. The LPC
> >bus will attach wherever the bus interface attaches (if the bus
> >interface is a PCI device, you attach there, etc.). You then have the=20
> >TCPA
> >driver attach to the LPC bus.
>=20
> Uh, I don't think there's any need to implement a new "LPC bus" driver.=
=20
>  LPC has been on PCs for years.  We call it "ISA".

Mostly. That paragraph was before I read the spec.

The question that remains though came up later in the note. :-) How do you=
=20
make sure the PCI->LPC bridge chip has been configured before you try to=20
configure the things behind it?

The LPC spec implies that devices on it should use ACPI for configuration,=
=20
so the question may turn into how does ACPI tell us to configure the LPC=20
bridge, and how do we ensure that the LPC bridge is configured before the=
=20
(ACPI) devices behind it try to probe?

Take care,

Bill