Subject: Re: SA/pthread syscall versioning
To: tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG, Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Christian Limpach <chris@pin.lu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/10/2003 19:33:56
From: "Matt Thomas" <matt@3am-software.com>
> The exception is that application linked statically will suddenly fail.
> Some vendors base their products on current so this will directly affect
them.

Yes.

> What about the future?  Will future changes cause application flag days?

Yes, if we don't provide compatibility code.  Adding compatibility code is
not the problem, but maintaining it in the long run is impracticable in this
case.

I don't want to specifically argue against compatibility code, I primarily
want to argue for a sane way to prevent the lack of compatibility code from
causing an unexplainable crash.

    christian