Subject: SA/pthread syscall versioning
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christian Limpach <chris@pin.lu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/10/2003 17:54:35
Hello!

There have been several times in the past that changes to the SA kernel part
have also required changes to libpthread.  The result was that people who
only updated one or the other did experience unexpected crashes.  I'd like
to prevent this in the future.  On the next change which requires a
simultaneous update of both kernel and libpthread, I'm going to add a
version argument to the sa_register syscall.  Applications can then be
terminated with an explicative error message instead of an unexpected crash.

This is similar to the version checks we perform for LKMs.

I don't feel that there is a need to burn more system call numbers for the
SA syscalls because:
- there hasn't been a formal NetBSD release since the SA syscalls were
introduced.
- the basic system does not need the SA syscalls to run.
- we have made incompatible changes to the SA syscalls before.
- the SA syscalls are not documented.

I feel this is preferable to using a different system call number each time
if there are many occasions where this is necessary.  Using a different
system call number would be preferable if we wanted to provide compatibility
syscalls at the previous number.  Because the changes are often quite
intrusive and extensive, this would quickly become unmaintainable.

Looking at recent CVS log, a version number change would have occurred on
2003/11/17 and 2003/09/16.

I'll send another message when the version number is added or changed.

     christian