Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 release date
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/10/2003 00:42:15
On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 03:24:33PM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> It baffles me why people seem to be insisting on looking for a solution
> to this problem when the problem can be completely, and almost totally
> painlessly, avoided in the first place!
	Isn't is actually still a problem with _any_ library that undergoes
a major version bump, if some other library has linked against it?
Say I write a library that uses openpty(), then I write a program that
uses it and also uses pidlock() (to pick two random functions from
libutil).  If the libutil major number has jumped, there's still the potential
for breakage, right?

eric