Subject: Re: default stacksize ulimit too small?
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/09/2003 22:20:56

Jan Schaumann <> wrote:
> Therefore, I had to recompile a new kernel with 'options
> DFLSSIZ=3D33554432' and install this new kernel on all of my machines,
> requiring a reboot just to bump the stacksize ulimit!

I had tried setting ulimit from /etc/profile, but then every login shell
complained about not being able to increase the ulimit.  Now I realize
that originally I had 'ulimit -s 65536'[1] in /etc/profile.  This won't
work, but for root it doesn't give an error but silently fails (as it's
more than the absolute max).  That got me confused.

Using 'ulimit -s 32768' (or smaller) works equally from /etc/profile or
for the user.

Sorry for the noise.

[1] I got that value from my shell on Irix, where ulimit uses kilobytes,
not 512 bytes for the stack limit.

If there's anything more important than my ego around here, I want it
caught and shot now!