Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 release date
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/09/2003 11:42:21
--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 05:14:21PM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>=20
> On Dec 8, 2003, at 4:15 PM, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>=20
> >I don't think that'd be a problem. The pkgsrc folks have done things=20
> >much
> >more difficult than this. Plus, since all libraries would be facing the
> >problem, it only has to be solved once then cloned.
>=20
> What about people who don't build libraries from pkgsrc?  Are you=20
> saying that will not longer be supported?

No.

But it depends on what exactly you mean by, "support." If it's support as=
=20
in, "we help you do it," we already only "support" 3rd party libraries via=
=20
pkgsrc. I see no reason to change that.

If you instead mean support as in, "you can do it," of course you will=20
still be able to compile 3rd party libraries.

The reason I mentioned pkgsrc is that you said if we bump libc's version=20
we will have to maintain diffs for all of these other libraries.=20
Maintaining NetBSD-specific diffs to 3rd party software is what pkgsrc=20
does, so I would expect it to be the repository for whatever libc version=
=20
bump diffs were needed.

Take care,

Bill