Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 release date
To: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/09/2003 09:04:34
John Franklin wrote:
> We intend to bump the major version of the OS with the next release, so
> *if* we are going to bump the major version of libc in the near future
> it would make sense to do it with the major bump of the OS.  From 1.x
> to 2.x, people expect there might be issues, such as significant
> libraries being rev'd.  It may not be something we *need* to do, but if
> we do it now, we won't need to do it again until NetBSD 3.0.

Note next major release after 2.0 would be 3.0 - we are going
from x.y.z versioning scheme to x.y.

> It's something we can do.  It's something we want to do.  It's
> something we have the opportunity to do.
>
> So, let's choose to do it now.

AFAICS, there's zero need to do it now. It might be necessary to
bump the libc major on libc bind update to bind9, but not right now.

How big do you think the compat glue is ? I'd be surprised if it
would be more than several KB - which are not even paged in if apps
don't use it. It's really not worth the efford ATM.

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-