Subject: Re: ntpd oddities possibly related to sysctl change
To: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/09/2003 00:24:18
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Sean Davis wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 11:08:26PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Sean Davis wrote:
> >
> > > Andrew: if this isn't related to the sysctl changes, sorry in advance, but
> > > that's the only thing changed that I can think of between the time ntpd was
> > > working as it used to be, and when it was working as it is now.
> >
> > Better, or worse? "ntpd" was just updated to 4.2.0.
>
> I'm not sure if it's problematic or not - I'm just wondering about the
> 'kernel time sync disabled 0041' then 'kernel time sync enabled 0001'
> messages.

That means the kernel discipline is working. It used to say "kernel
status change" whenever ntp_adjtime() returned an error. Dave Mills
changed that to say "kernel time sync disabled" plus the status code.
The last one, "kernel time sync enabled", was added at my request,
because reporting only "disabled" made it look like the kernel
discipline was broken, when it wasn't.

You shouldn't see any more than the three messages, unless you use
"ntpdc" to manually "disable kernel" or "enable kernel".

Frederick