Subject: Startup code of NetBSD
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Anand Lalgondar <solarflares@fastmail.fm>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/09/2003 11:29:13
Hello,

Where is the starting point of the NetBSD code. Does it start from
machine independent (i.e /sys/kern/xxx.c) or is it machine dependent
(xxx.c - don't know [may be machdep.c] ). I remember reading some
document that mentioned that the basic initialization of the kernel
happens by to-fro movement from machine dependent and machine independent
part. I could not get enough information from that, but got a gist of
what happens initially.

We would like to know this since we are porting NetBSD to a MIPS Target
board. Any help/pointers would be appreciated.

One more question -
One of my MIPS Target Board does not boot up with the NetBSD Kernel,
since the RTC chip onboard is burnt out. Is it compulsory to implement
RTC driver in the NetBSD kerenel, or can it be removed. I have been
reading the "Building 4.4BSD Kernels with Config" from the
"http://docs.freebsd.org/44doc/smm/02.config/paper.html" where in it has
mentioned that the configuration file should mention the timezone. Does
NetBSD requires the same.

Thanks anyways.

 - Anand

--