Subject: Re: odd scsi disk probing
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/07/2003 13:50:05
[ On Saturday, December 6, 2003 at 20:37:50 (-0800), Matthew Jacob wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: odd scsi disk probing
>

> Yes, the verbosity was intended. It's telling you very clearly what it
> needs. Put on the jumper that spins the drive up on poweron.

Your conclusion doesn't seem very clear to me given the text of the
message.  "Initialization Command Required" suggests that there's a
software command which can be sent to ready the device, and I would hope
the driver is capable of recognizing this condition and sending the
necessary comand on its own.  While a hardware change may avoid the
issue, there's no indication in the message that it's the correct way to
deal with it.

Presumably the driver does send the init ("start unit"?) command on
first access, which is why it works fine after boot.

I'm also assuming the driver doesn't send the init command during probe
because doing so properly would require kernel machinery that isn't yet
ready to be used.  Is that correct?  If not then perhaps the best
solution is to send the init command and only report the "not ready"
condition on first access (i.e. if the init command has no effect).

--
						Greg A. Woods