Subject: Re: odd scsi disk probing
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/07/2003 09:31:37
On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 08:37:50PM -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> >
> > Yes, the verbosity was intended. It's telling you very clearly what it
> > needs. Put on the jumper that spins the drive up on poweron.
>
> It used to be silent about this. Nothing is really required, as the driver
> will issue a START command anyway.

Sure. It will/should do so if it gets such an error.

> If the problem is the delay, we could have the drivers print a message when it
> sends a start command, but I think having such a long message (which looks like
> an error message) in this case is wrong.

The boot verbose flag must have been on. ISTRC that this issue came up 5
years ago and Thorpej made it *not* print verbose like this unless some
compilation parameter was on (or later on when it came in, bootverbose
was set). But I'm a bit hzay about the details.