Subject: Re: Intel SATA RAID
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/06/2003 23:33:10
On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 02:19:29PM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> What kind of hardware feature would exist for accelerating RAID-0?
> They don't have an I/O processor down on the board, do they?  (I would
> be surprised; those are generally for accelerating RAID-5).
>
> I suspect what it really means is "BIOSes for these chipsets have some
> RAID-0 software in them".

The datasheet clearly states that the ICH5R needs a special ROM for the
RAID feature, and that this ROM will only work with ICH5R (not ICH5).
Also I've seen mention of extra registers for the ICH5R (I didn't find what
they are, but I didn't look deep in details).

I think RAID0 is simple enouth to be impleted in hardware without much
complexity (especially if you impose some restriction on the command
size/boundary and strip size).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>