Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 release date
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/06/2003 11:15:27
--Apple-Mail-96-89131144

On Dec 5, 2003, at 3:57 PM, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> It's not really _that_ bit of a deal.  Certainly not in my opinion.
> :-)
> NetBSD is an open source system after all.  NetBSD doesn't _really_
> need
> to be anywhere nearly so single-minded about bass-ackwards
> compatability
> as, say, Sun has been with Solaris.  I'm sure all NetBSD users can deal
> with such a change without much grief, assuming they're made well aware
> of what's happening.

Yes, it is.  If you bump libc, you have to bump the major of every
library that exists that uses libc functions, including 3rd party
libraries.

This is simply too large of a task.

We've hashed over this before.  Many times.  And each time the
conclusion is "can't bump libc's major in any sane way".  Therefore, I
expect it will never happen.

--Apple-Mail-96-89131144
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit