Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 release date
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/05/2003 19:04:57
[ On Friday, December 5, 2003 at 13:49:38 (+0200), Lucio De Re wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 release date
>
> Does that mean you don't believe that the legacy stuff is a shrinking
> audience?  I'm using 1.3.3 (I think) to serve various Internet
> functions, but I'll upgrade to 1.6.1 at the slightest opportunity.

"Supporting" old releases, even to the extent of making new patch
releases; and continuing to support bass-ackwards and ever increasingly
complex (and thus risky), ugly, inelegant, and no doubt in-efficient
shared library compatability; are two VERY different kinds of things!  :-)

NetBSD has proven its ability to support arbitrary foreign binaries with
entirely different system call interfaces, complete to being able to run
the foreign dynamic runtime link-loaders and use the foreign shared
libraries and other shared objects.

This technology could easily be leaveraged to support legacy NetBSD
binaries for nearly forever if truly necessary should the decision ever
be made to "clean out" the cruft from the current system libraries.

--
						Greg A. Woods