Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 release date
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/04/2003 10:35:19
--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 04:06:47AM -0800, John Nemeth wrote:
> On Mar 29,  4:56am, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> } On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 10:34:25AM -0800, Madhu Lakshmanan wrote:
> } > I haven't been able to find out the release date for
> } > NetBSD 2.0. Does someone have an approximate idea of
> } > when it would be available as an official release?
> }=20
> } No official release date has been set. I doubt one will be set=3D20
> } until we start the release process.
> }=20
> } Personally, I favor, "soon," as pthreads have stablized.
>=20
>      I seem to recall that this was accomplished by using a hack that
> forced all threads in a threaded process to run on the same physical
> processor.  That defeats the purpose of having SMP + pthreads.  Have
> the problems with running different threads on different physical
> processors (simultaneously or not) been solved?

To the best of my knowledge, no. And to be honest, I don't think it needs
to be solved for 2.0. It does need solving, but I think it should happen
after 2.0. While what we have now isn't perfect, it's d*mn good. :-) And
it's quite a step above what we've had.

Also, I think getting multi-CPU operation working right will take a few=20
itterations, and quite a lot of testing. I'd expect it'd take 4 to 6=20
months to get right. 2.0 is behind schedule as it is, so I think it'd be=20
best to just ship 2.0 as we have it now.

Take care,

Bill

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV--