Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 release date
To: Todd Kover <kovert@omniscient.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/04/2003 10:28:59
On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 10:07:14AM -0500, Todd Kover wrote:
> Rather than ask about timeframes, it might be better to ask if there are
> established critera to trigger the release process, such as stablized
> pthreads and other features?

In the past, it's been a kind of ad-hoc criteria in the sense that
a certain amount of time has past and certain features have been
completed/stabilized.

In this case, there is a list of several features that need to be
polished off.  I think that, timewise, things are pretty ripe.

If you'd like to help out, there are a couple of different ways
that you can, actually.  One thing that always needs doing is to
get as many people as possible (on as many platforms as possible)
using the current (or release branch) code to find and fix problems
prior to the final days of the release process.  "Problems" in this
sense covers both code and documentation...

If you have programming skills, please consider looking at the
GNATS database.  The open PRs cover most skill levels.  If you
develop a patch, you can append it to the PR by mail or contact a
developer privately.  You can also ask questions or request review
on the mailing lists.

It's called "open source" for a reason!  Dig in!

-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/