Subject: Re: buffer cache memory management revision
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/01/2003 21:17:14

> On Dec 1, 2003, at 11:07 AM, <ragge@ludd.luth.se> wrote:
>
> > Would it be a bad idea to use a separate submap for it? So that
> > it won't have to compete with other stuff using kernel_map, and
> > so avoid problem on machines with small kerbel virtual memory.
>
> Using a separate submap would place an upper bound on it at run-time
> that you might not want to have.

I for sure have an upper bound of it anyway because the kernel vm
area may be very limited in size, so the only question is if the
buffers must fight with other users of the same map.

Is the uarea the only other frequent user of the kernel_map today?
In that case it may not be a big problem, but it still is lurking
around down there.

-- Ragge