Subject: Re: Easier vendor specific sysctl
To: Andrew Brown <>
From: Pavel Cahyna <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/28/2003 14:22:46

> >>     sysctl -w //,type=int,symbol=thing,flags=w
> >
> >Please, what is the "symbol" field referring to?
> the name of the thing being referenced.  for example, i have the

I hope such nodes won't be created by default, because I suppose that it
is dangerous to write to kernel variables directly from userland. But if
you create them manually and know what you are doing, that's fine.

Second question - will it be possible to create a sysctl that does not
correspond to a kernel variable, but rather the storage for it is
allocated on-demand? That way, it could be possible to even have a
Win32-like Registry :-).

Bye	Pavel