Subject: Re: Easier vendor specific sysctl
To: Pavel Cahyna <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/28/2003 08:07:33
>> once i'm done, you'll be able to do this from the command line:
>>     sysctl -w //,type=int,symbol=thing,flags=w
>Please, what is the "symbol" field referring to?

the name of the thing being referenced.  for example, i have the
following in my sysctl.conf:

and they refer to these things:

    % nm /dev/ksyms | egrep 'A (cpu_feature|esm_debug|audiodebug|securelevel)'
    c044b9a0 A audiodebug
    c049f6cc A cpu_feature
    c0450d20 A esm_debug
    c044dbcc A securelevel

but typing in the address is (a) unwieldy and (b) not stable (ie,
likely to change if i rebuild my kernel), so what sysctl does is tell
the kernel the name of the thing i want to instrument, instead of just
telling it where it is.