Subject: restrict keyword support at kernel-level?
To: , <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: madhvesh <madhvesh.s@ap.sony.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/23/2003 20:54:48
Hi,

I need one info.
While using the compiler keyword for pointer arguments as "restrict" for
function arguments,
within the library(libc) the code has to ensure that, it doesnot fiddle with
local
pointers (as aliases) for these argument pointers. But if the same argument
is passed
to system-call which internally passes to kernel-source code, then the
kernel
code also has to ensure that, the restrict pointer arguments passed should
not
be assigned to local or global varibales within the kernel?

Does this mean, the kernel should also worry for "restrict" argument
pointers
when passed from application program to library to kernel?

Thanks in advance

-MS