Subject: Re: SMBus support
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Gilbert Fernandes <gilbertf@netbsd-fr.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/21/2003 09:04:29
On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 10:47:57PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> Cool. Did you look at sys/dev/i2c ?
> >From memory, i2c and smbus are really similar.

they are very close yes. smbus is the
intel version of i2c (which is from philipps
if i'm not wrong). same stuff : two wires,
one byte being sent/received at a time.

my problem is more a lack of documentation
and commands to talk with my smbus.

i have a few pdf from intel's website but
most are for people implementing the smbus
in hardware : diagrams, voltage levels and
such. but i believe i can grab from all of
this enough information on how the smbus
works to talk to it. then it's just scanning
what devices are connected to the smbus:
i dont know if my machine has a thermal
diode and i wonder if the infrared is
connected there (and host-controlled
perhaps ?)

emmanuel (dreyfus) has been very helpful
in showing me where to start looking :))
i started working on that smbus support
since i went back from the RMLL 2003
of Metz.

--