Subject: Re: Adding opencrypto, crypto acceelerator to GENERIC kernels?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org, tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/19/2003 16:29:35
--X3gaHHMYHkYqP6yf

[To: list pruned to tech-{kern,userlevel}]

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 02:15:34PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:

> And I'd like to see a sparc station 2 (sparc v7 w/o hardware
> multiply/division) use a pc-card crypto accelerator. Assuming there are
> no sbus crypto accelerator card available.

In the old days, when DES was new and shiny, there was a rumour that
Sparcs with DES were available in the US of A.

Of course, no such thing was allowed to be near[1] the Red Army, so I've
never seen one and can't tell you if it was an SBUS card or soldered onto
the main board.

Supposedly, the SunOS 4 crypt command would use the device if available,
else it would use the CPU.

Regards,
	-is

--X3gaHHMYHkYqP6yf