Subject: Re: Drive error message
To: Stuart Brooks <stuartb@cat.co.za>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/18/2003 23:55:00
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:37:03AM +0200, Stuart Brooks wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone knows what the following kernel error message may
> mean :
>
> /netbsd: wd2f: obsolete (address mark not found) reading fsbn 505826 (wd2 bn
> 505889; cn 501 tn 13 sn 62)
>
> A scan through the raw partition reveals a single sector error (512B) at
> that location, and it is sitting under one of the data blocks of a file. Now
> I have seen "uncorrectable data error reading" and "device timeout reading",
> and  "id not found reading" before, but this is a new one for me.

These errors are well-defined in the ATA-1 standart.
But since then, drive technologies have changed a lot, and now the meaning of
these errors are vendor-specific.

But it's safe to assume you have a bad block at this address.
You can try to remap it by writing to it:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd0d seek=505889 count=1

but of course you'll loose the data of that block.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>