Subject: RE: pciide0:0:1 related error messages.
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Jason Marshall <jasonm@cat.co.za>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/17/2003 15:48:25
Thanks, I appreciate your help.

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 09:28:56AM +0200, Jason Marshall wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Can anybody please tell me what the following messages indicate?
> "id not found" is something I am not sure about.

Unfortunably the ATA standart doesn't define lots of different error code
for the drive to return to the controller, and the exact meaning of
some of the errror code is controller-dependant (the exact meaning was
well-defined in ATA-1, but it has then slipped).
"id not found" is usually some kind of media error (could be a problem with
the start of the track). Some drives also return it when attempting
to read past end of media, but unless your disklabel is wrong this
shouldn't happen.