Subject: Re: modload & /dev/ksyms
To: Hsu, Cheng-Hsin (Cheng-Hsin) <chs@lucent.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/15/2003 13:33:28
On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 10:12:42AM -0500, Hsu, Cheng-Hsin (Cheng-Hsin) wrote:
>       I'm trying to modload a .o, however, modload complains the
> /dev/ksyms doesn't exist and quits. Then, I compile a new kernel
> with ksyms as well as create the /dev/ksyms node.

Watch your kernel compile carefully.  If the SYMTAB_SPACE is too small,
then there will be a warning message after the kernel is linked.

>       I notice that there is a "missing symbol table" line at
> bootup, and recognize there is no symbol in my 'netbsd'. I did the
> following things: (1) set MDSET_NOSTRIP in Makefile to skip symbol
> strip of kernel. (2) I turn on DEBUG="-g", per some old posts. (3)
> I set the symbolsize to be non-zero in md code before calling
> ksyms_init(actually, I set it the same as SYMTAB_SPACE value in
> conf file).

For evbarm, I have a symbol table without having to do any of these
things.  I do occasionally have to bump up the SYMTAB_SPACE, though,
as the code size seems to steadily increase.

-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/