Subject: Re: Dynamic registry of ehternet frame types
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/12/2003 09:28:23
On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 07:04:24PM +1100, matthew green wrote:
> is there no way to make this Just Work always?  ie
> recognise the ether frames just for pppoe somehow?

No, we need to initate session negotiation with the proper frame type. So
it will require more parameters to pppoectl (where you would set your
account info anyway, so that's not a big problem, if the documentation
points you to it).

I agree that having to recompile the kernel before getting the internet
connection up is bad. But then I don't like to bloat ether_input (even if
only in the default: case instead of dropping packets) by stuff noone ever
realy uses.

Martin