Subject: TCPA Driver for NetBSD
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Wash <rwash@citi.umich.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/08/2003 21:11:57
Hello,

  I've been working on a driver for the tcpa chip for NetBSD (my current
operating system of choice :) ).  Right now I have an IBM T30 laptop that
has the chip in it.  IBM has released a linux driver [1], and I've written a
BSD-licenced driver loosely based on this driver.   Currently it works on my
laptop.  If anyone else has an IBM computer with the "IBM Security
Subsystem" in it, feel free to try the driver and see if you can get it to
work.  Some instructions are available here:

  http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/rwash/projects/trusted/netbsd.html

and the patch can be found here:

  http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/rwash/projects/trusted/tcpa-1107.patch

Right now there's not a whole lot you can do with it, but the IBM tools to
encrypt a file or sign a file with a tcpa-based key do work.  There is some
good information in the August 2003 issue of Linux Journal about the tcpa
chip.

I'd appreciate any comments on the driver.  I don't have the resources to
test it on anything but by T30 laptop.  Also, this is my first NetBSD device
driver, so any advice on coding it, things that I screwed up, etc. would be
appreciated.

  Rick Wash

[1] http://www.research.ibm.com/gsal/tcpa/