Subject: Re: LABELSECTOR, LABELOFFSET:disklabel in different architectures
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore32@gaea.ocn.ne.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/08/2003 21:30:18
anand lalgondar asked;

> Why do different architectures have different LABELSECTOR and LABELOFFSET
> values.

It's because there are computers on the earth other than PC-compatibles (or PC-disguises)

> Later the same USB HDD was connected to a evbmips Target Board ported with
> NetBSD1.6. The disklabel showed a "c" partition representing the whole disk.
> We could not get the information of the partition created in i386 machine.
> Is there a work around in disklabel to overcome this.

Yes, there is.  Repeat my words; "it's your choice to have disklabel layout for
your product."  If your machine really need to have PC-compatible disk layout, do
so in that way.  There is no reason to follow what you see in NetBSD/evbmips.  It'd
be better to start right now NetBSD/yourMIPS tree to avoid to smash exiting useful
code.

Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology