Subject: Re: Sample (but possibly useful) LKM: fake Ethernet device
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/07/2003 21:11:12
On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 06:54:33PM +0100, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Because I kind of needed it at work (anyone who had to deal with FlexML
> will understand), I wrote that tiny LKM that fakes an Ethernet device.
>
> I think it can be useful as a sample LKM, because it uses some of the
> neat (and clean, too) features of the kernel.
>
> I'd like to have some input on it, since it is likely that some
> errors remain in the comments notably. Then I will either commit it
> somewhere under sys/lkm (just as an example, of course), or make it
> available through a site, maybe with Benedikt Meurer's fine guide [1].
>
> Comments?

This is nice.
I'd like such a device that would allow to read back the ethernet frames
from userland, or inject ethernet frames to the device (somewhat like
tun(4) but for ethernet).
This would be nice for things like simh, and also to build virtual ethernet
networks on encrypted IP tunnels.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>