Subject: Re: Speeding up fork/wait path
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/03/2003 16:36:38
Jason Thorpe wrote:
> > This shouldn't be necessary. uvm_pagealloc_strat()
> > wakes up pagedaemon on memory shortage (and if it can block), so this
> > should Just Work as is without additional hooks.
>
> I'm talking about virtual address space, not physical pages.

I know. AFAICS the routine doesn't make difference between VA space
and physical memory shortage, so pagedaemon is jabbed nevertheless.

Also, I don't know where would be the best place to put this
'drain&retry' hook, besides the pagedaemon. Basically uvm_uarea_drain(TRUE)
should be called in exactly same situations as pool_drain(0)

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-