Subject: LFS or FFS, which one is the more reliable and faster file system
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org, tech-perform@netbsd.org>
From: Shen Lily <gb_orchid@hotmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/31/2003 02:42:51
LFS or FFS, which one is the more reliable and faster file system in terms
of recovery from system failure?

Now I am studying the recovery performance comparison of the NetBSD
Log-structured File System and the NetBSD Fast File System. From some
papers I know that LFS offers superior performance, but my test results don
’t provide the proof . LFS isn’t faster and more reliable than FFS,
sometimes it is even worse. I don’t know why does this happen? Are results
of my test wrong? Will you please give me some direction?

ps: System description:

	Intel motherboard
	2.4Ghz Pentium 4
	512M of DDR333 memory

On wd0, I created a partition wd0f and wd0g for test, using 1000M
size,1024b fragment
size, and 8192b block size. wd0f had its type changed and was
prepared using newfs(8) or newfs_lfs(8).