Subject: Re: disklabel(8) and machdep on-disk structures issues
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Christian Limpach <chris@pin.lu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/31/2003 17:57:27
> So I propose:
> - fix next68k disksubr.c to always write a next-compatible disklabel
>   in addition to the NetBSD disklabel (need to find some space for
>   the NetBSD disklabel first, shouldn't be too hard).

This might not always be possible since the NeXT disklabel is larger than
the NetBSD disklabel.  Right now, next68k disksubr.c always writes a NeXT
disklabel if there isn't a NetBSD label on the disk yet.

If we want to additionally write a NetBSD disklabel, then we could put it
after the NeXT disklabel (in the area reserved for the boot code and adjust
installboot accordingly) or in the NeXT disklabel if it's a version #3 label
which only uses ~1500 bytes of the reserved 8K.  We only write version #3
labels, so putting the label in the 4th 512byte sector should work...

    christian