Subject: disklabel(8) and machdep on-disk structures issues
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/30/2003 21:38:48
Hi,
reinstalling a next68k current from scratch on a blank disk, I ran into the
issue that the disklabel written to disk was a native NetBSD disklabel,
not a NeXT disklabel.
I tracked it down to disklabel(8) itself, which writes the disklabel
itself to disk instead of asking the kernel to do it, when -r or -I
is passed on command line (this is in disklabel.c:writelabel()).

Note that there is a #ifdef __sparc__ to disable this code on sparc and
always let the kernel write the disklabel to disk (and do the conversion
if needed). My first though was "we need this for next68k too".
However, I think other platforms needs this as well (sun3 comes to mind).
How is the conversion between NetBSD and hardware-depedant disklabel format
done in this case ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>