Subject: Re: Difference between rcons, rasops, wscons
To: anand lalgondar <anandlalgondar@hotmail.com>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/28/2003 23:04:48
On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:07:24 +0530, anand lalgondar wrote:

> I am confused with the following three: rcons, rasops, wscons.
[...]
> Some of the questions that comes to mind:

> 1. Are all of them independent of each other? Please give some
> description as "How".

rasops, as the name suggests, are generic text operations for raster
framebuffer devices.  Both rcons and wscons use rasops.

> 2. Which of them are outdated implementation?

rcons is the deprecated one.

> 3. If I want to implement a framebuffer driver, out of these which
> should I use.

Use wscons.  Use rasops to provide wsdisplay_emulops.  Look at how
existing drivers do it (e.g. igsfb :).

If you want an example of *really* clever wsdisplay_emulops, look at
hpcfb driver (but unless you are familiar with wscons code you will soon
be lost in the maze of little pointers to functions all alike).

> 4. Is there a generic framebuffer driver in NetBSD as it is in Linux.

wscons prodives a subset of linuxfb functionality (but I'm not familiar
with linuxfb, so I might well be wrong here).  E.g. it doesn't provide a
way to switch between different resolutions &c.

SY, Uwe