Subject: Re: bcopy in kernel
To: None <rick@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/28/2003 11:46:54
On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:43:57AM -0500, rick@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca wrote:
> I think it would be useful to retain a copy function for overlapping
> data areas in the kernel, whatever you choose to call it.

Traditionally, this was ovbcopy().  bcopy() in the kernel was not
guaranteed to handle overlapping regions (conflicting with the
userland definition).  Since we've standardized on the mem* functions
for use in the kernel, memmove() is your friend for overlapping
regions.

I strongly encourage you to use mem*() for any current code and build
or retain macros the ovbcopy()/bcopy() split if you need to remain
compatible with traditional BSD kernels.

-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/