Subject: Re: Please help me tune NetBSD for bulk.fefe.de/scalability/
To: Felix von Leitner <felix-benchmark@fefe.de>
From: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/28/2003 02:05:57
On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 04:21:36PM +0200, Felix von Leitner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Several people have asked me to re-run my benchmarks after the kernels
> have been properly tuned.
>
> To ensure a fair test, I will ask each kernel team to send me a list of
> things to do to a GENERIC kernel to optimize it for optimal performance
> on my benchmarks.
>
> Please also tell me if you have suggestions for other benchmarks that
> say something about the scalability of an operating system, that I could
> (and should) include in my benchmark suite.

If you are using an x86 machine for benchmarks, how about including
largepages.inc in your config file? It uses 4M pages for the kernel
image and makes lots of 4KB TLB entries available for applications.
I think it would be interesting to see how much the TLB utilization
affects the system scalability.

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@NetBSD.org>