Subject: Re: Interactive performance in -current
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: None <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/25/2003 20:57:11
On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 11:00:52AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> Do you use a custom kernel config file?  Perhaps you forgot to add the
> chip-specific driver for your PCI IDE controller.  The plain "pciide"
> is now PIO only, and will not use DMA if your chip supports it.  You
> need a chip-specific driver in your kernel config file to get the DMA
> capability.

Oooh, thanks for the info.  I just updated my kernel to use viaide instead
of pciide and now the system behaves perfectly (I tested by ripping a CD).
Though I got bad behavior from the CD in the first attempt... it's probably
media fault (I switched it and everything was ok) but I'll retry on next
reboot, just to be sure.

Thanks, Jason.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>