Subject: Re: Please help me tune NetBSD for bulk.fefe.de/scalability/
To: Felix von Leitner <felix-benchmark@fefe.de>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/24/2003 10:47:06
Felix von Leitner <felix-benchmark@fefe.de> writes:
> Several people have asked me to re-run my benchmarks after the kernels
> have been properly tuned.
>
> To ensure a fair test, I will ask each kernel team to send me a list of
> things to do to a GENERIC kernel to optimize it for optimal performance
> on my benchmarks.
>
> Please also tell me if you have suggestions for other benchmarks that
> say something about the scalability of an operating system, that I could
> (and should) include in my benchmark suite.

For NetBSD, tuning isn't entirely the issue. We've found a few
suboptimal algorithms as a result of your recent benchmarks and have
been making alterations to our kernels to fix them. We've
substantially improved performance in several of the benchmarks in
recent days as a result of this.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com