Subject: Re: latest xmms hang weirdness.
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: None <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/24/2003 14:57:56
On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 07:58:37PM +1000, matthew green wrote:

> hi folks.
>

> i'm guessing that my latest xmms hangs are pthread related.  but the
> behaviour is unlike i've seen elsewhere and fortunately is much less
> annoying than other behaviours i've seen.  under even light load i've
> noticed xmms hang with a ~week old kernel.  it's a very soft hang as
> simply adjusting the volume (which is completely external to xmms)
> is enough to kick it into action again - unhang.

I've seen similar "soft" hangs, where stopping the song and playing it again
is enough to make it work (haven't tried changing the volume), but they are
under intensive disk activity.  Well, in general, I've seen very very bad
interactive performance lately when writting to disk :(

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>