Subject: re: inp_ialink, et al, garbage?
To: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/24/2003 10:31:54
   On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 10:18:58AM +1000, matthew green wrote:

   >    On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 09:57:08AM +1000, matthew green wrote:
   >    > eg, i insert a cardbus ethernet, get an IP configured, time passes,
   >    > the card is ejected and later i may connect via a wireless and i
   >    > can not talk to the wired ethernet subnet anymore because i still
   >    > have a network route for it that now points to "lo0".
   >
   >    I would not expect the route to your ethernet to change to lo0. Why
   >    doesn't the route just go away, instead?
   >
   > i don't know.  next time it happens i will send-pr details.  i
   > know that i'm not the only one that sees this problem (i talked
   > about it with some folks at bsdcon.)

   Ok. I have had problems like this which I (perhaps unjustly) blamed on
   dhclient(-script); if that is what you use to configure your interfaces,
   you might see if it makes any difference to configure w/o it.

i usually use dhclient, but i've also seen it when doing stuff manually.
(i do stuff manually irregularly because reconfiguring dhclient is really
hard to do without restarting it, and restarting it often kills my other
existing happily operating network.)

.mrg.