Subject: re: Which snapshot strategy to use? was: How to capture all file system writes
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/24/2003 10:00:47

   Based on the horrors of encapsulating a Solaris root(+boot) disk
   within Veritas VM and then trying to update Veritas, I think that,
   from a practical standpoint, you probably don't ever want to do
   that. Keep / a small, regular disk type. You don't really need
   snapshots there, because it's really just not going to change that
   much. And if you go and build a kernel that then doesn't work
   properly with the block manager, you've just hosed your /.

why?  i've been using raidframe root on my netbsd boxes since not
long after it appeared.  this isn't journalling or snapshots, but
the technology to have root be a non-plain filesystem isn't that
special and it's something we've supported for a while already.

.mrg.