Subject: Re: Which snapshot strategy to use? was: How to capture all file
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/23/2003 12:22:36
Thus spake Thor Lancelot Simon ("TLS> ") sometime Today...

JT> Ok, fine, BUT WE DON'T YET HAVE THE BLOCK MAPPER.  And we don't yet
JT> have wedges.  And I don't think it's reasonable to wait for those
JT> things in order to get file system snapshots.

TLS> I really don't think there's any reason to yell about this.  It appears
TLS> to be the case that Christian does, in fact, already have a functional
TLS> block mapper; he is a NetBSD developer; he could easily enough commit it.

TLS> Do you see a shorter path forward for snapshot support using some other
TLS> method?

Not to be disrespectful, here, but the shortest path does not necessarily
make it the best (most correct) path.  It could be, but unless we explore
other methodology, we won't know for sure.  To decide on one only to
either be stuck with a bad decision or to end up ripping it out later
would be a lose either way.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Mach 3 stealthOS, undetectable by media radar.