Subject: Re: Which snapshot strategy to use? was: How to capture all file system writes
To: Christian Limpach <chris@pin.lu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/23/2003 08:33:28
On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 05:47  AM, Christian Limpach wrote:

>> Let's say you have /u1 mounted from /dev/sd1a.  How would you then
>> take
>> a snapshot?
>
> The driver provides virtualization, so you'd use it with a userland
> volume
> manager or with wedges and then every device you mount is provided
> through
> the driver.  For devices mounted through the driver, you can ask the
> driver
> to suspend access to the device (while keeping it mounted), replace the
> mapping and then resume access to the device.

Your examples aren't using a file system mounted on /dev/sd1a.  They're
using a file system mounted on /dev/mapper/vgdelight-test.  In other
words, you provided an example that is not what I asked for, and proved
my point at the same time -- it requires a priori knowledge (and a
configuration change, and use of some other software) to do snapshots
with a pseudo-device shim.