Subject: Re: newfs: determining file system parameters
To: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20031020T122350@wsrcc.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/21/2003 02:54:12
    Date:        Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:44:11 -0700
    From:        wolfgang+gnus20031020T122350@wsrcc.com (Wolfgang  S. Rupprecht)

  | DVD+RW's already have a 32k byte sector size.

  | My bet is that the upcoming blue-ray dvd standard, of 27Gigs instead
  | of the current 4.7Gigs, will increase the block size again.

Fine - but 24 bits still allows up to 8MB blocks - I doubt that we're
going to approach that one anytime soon.   (It is actually almost 16MB,
except for that pesky -1...).  Since any of these block sizes are
themselves powers of two, one could also define the MSB of the 24 bits
to mean that the low 23 bits are a power of 2, instead of an integer.
Then you'd have arbitrary block sizes up to 4MB, and allowable block
sizes up to 2^(2^23 - 1) (powers of 2 only).

kre

ps; my suggestion wasn't really serious, more just an example of
"almost anything can be made to work, if it is really necessary".