Subject: Re: newfs: determining file system parameters
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Limpach <chris@pin.lu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/20/2003 19:16:38
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:47:16 -0700 Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org> wrote:

> You're way over-engineering this. :-) All newfs needs is exactly what's
> in struct partition now, with info from the static part of disklabel. I
> agree we may need more stuff in the future, but let's wait until then for
> implementing it.

but then we should also wait with adding any ioctl until we have a real
need for one ;-)

> Note that there will be two info stores. There will be whatever is on
> the disk, and what's in the kernel. What is in the kernel will be just
> the minimum needed, and the struct we talked about above will probably do
> it.
> What is on the disk will depend on the partitioning scheme in use.

hmm, wouldn't that be quite inconvenient:  tools like newfs will have to
know how to interact with two stores.  I'd hope that newfs would use
functions from some library which would update both stores!?

Also, if the store in the kernel is minimal, then filesystem specific data
shouldn't be stored in it.  On the other hand, some kind of filesystem
identifier (name or some kind of UUID) should probably be stored in the
kernel...

--
Christian Limpach <chris@pin.lu>