Subject: Re: another RAIDframe oddity....
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/19/2003 15:13:37
"Greg A. Woods" writes:
> Just while doing the final reconstruction of my new RAID-1 for root I
> noticed the following message on the console:
>
> 	Warning: truncating spare disk /dev/sd1e to 17601280 blocks
>
> This happened as I added the second component as a spare to replaced the
> "failed" fake component with "raidctl -v -a /dev/sd1e raid2".
>
> I'm assuming this is because the partition size is not an exact multiple
> of the stripe-unit size, though I note it truncated 160 sectors whie the
> sectPerSu is only 128 and there's only one row so I'm not quite sure why
> it threw away a whole stripe-unit....

Note that 64 blocks at the beginning of the partition are "reserved".
Once those blocks are removed from the size, the "actual size used"
is rounded down to the nearest multiple of the stripe size.

[snip]
> (I do note in this case the "Autoconfig" and "Root partition" values
> have been properly propagated to the new component.  Perhaps the problem
> with doing this in 1.5W for my old RAID-5 array has been fixed?)

Yes, it likely has.  (I know it has been fixed, but I don't recall
when the fix went in..)

> BTW, is there any easy way to change the "Last configured as" value in
> the component labels?

Not easy.. no.  (as in, no way to do it directly from raidctl)

> It would be more elegant to have my root disk
> configure as "raid0".  I suppose I could boot single-user and
> un-configure them all then re-configure them in the desired order?

Yup.

> In
> the mean time though I'm going to leave well enough alone since it's all
> hopefully working reliably at the moment.  :-)

It's all just cosmetic anyway :)

Later...

Greg Oster