Subject: Re: newfs: determining file system parameters
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/18/2003 10:19:11
> Can I inquire, while we're here, *why* a user-tunable cpg has vanished?

Probably because the value read from the disklabel had a nasty habit
of being completely wrong.

Why do you want to set cpg?

Would a parameter to set the minimum number of 'cylinder groups'
be more reasonable?  It defaults to 4 (unless that would generate
too much red tape).

Note that the current newfs doesn't use the physical cylinder size
when formatting the filesystem.  Each ffs 'cylinder group' contains
only one 'cylinder' and may be arbitrarly aligned on the disk.
(Without this change, the number of cylinders per group causes the
red tape to expand to the point where you can't create a large filesystem.)

This might be a loss if you have a real rk05 [1] or rl01, but it probably
not noticable on any modern disks with variable geometry.

	David

Mmm a massive 2.5MB.

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk