Subject: Re: newfs: determining file system parameters
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/16/2003 13:58:17
Thus spake der Mouse ("dM> ") sometime Today...

dM> >> [...new ioctl returning stuff newfs needs...]
dM> > I'd actually vote we move to this new ioctl in preference, then only
dM> > look at disklabels if it fails.  I'd like this because I'd like newfs
dM> > to stop using struct disklabel.
dM>
dM> Perhaps - but one thing I think newfs needs is a way to provide all the
dM> necessary information from the command line, with newfs not depending
dM> on the device supporting any of these ioctls when all the relevant
dM> numbers are given on the command line.  One of the things I've done in
dM> my patch tree is to make getdisklabel() able to fail, and then made the
dM> rest of newfs work if it does fail - provided -s, -t, and -u are given
dM> on the command line.  This permits newfs to create filesystems in files
dM> and the like, which it really should be able to do....

Can I inquire, while we're here, *why* a user-tunable cpg has vanished?

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD, stupid.