Subject: Re: newfs: determining file system parameters
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/16/2003 16:39:06
>> [...new ioctl returning stuff newfs needs...]
> I'd actually vote we move to this new ioctl in preference, then only
> look at disklabels if it fails.  I'd like this because I'd like newfs
> to stop using struct disklabel.

Perhaps - but one thing I think newfs needs is a way to provide all the
necessary information from the command line, with newfs not depending
on the device supporting any of these ioctls when all the relevant
numbers are given on the command line.  One of the things I've done in
my patch tree is to make getdisklabel() able to fail, and then made the
rest of newfs work if it does fail - provided -s, -t, and -u are given
on the command line.  This permits newfs to create filesystems in files
and the like, which it really should be able to do....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign