Subject: hostname resolution failure on new kernel/usrland
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: None <jnr@cwru.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/10/2003 22:40:03
hi,

I just compiled and installed both kernel and userland from yeaderday's anoncvs.  After compliation i get the following on boot when ntpd tries to start:

bork ntpd_initres[436]: couldn't resolve `ntp2.usno.navy.mil', giving up on it
bork ntpd_initres[436]: couldn't resolve `tick.usno.navy.mil', giving up on it
bork ntpd_initres[436]: couldn't resolve `tock.usno.navy.mil', giving up on it
bork ntpd_initres[436]: couldn't resolve `ntp1.connectiv.com', giving up on it

ping also does not resolve hostnames:
$ ping www.msn.com
ping: Cannot resolve "www.msn.com" (Unknown server error)

telnet and ssh work fine however:
$ telnet www.msn.com 80
Trying 207.68.173.244...
Connected to www.msn.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

also, i am running kde3.1.3 from pkgsrc.  konqueror and kmail resove hosts and operate normally.  gaim (also from pkgsrc) cannot resolve hostnames.

/etc/resolv.conf, /etc/ifconfig.*, did not change with the install.  I build and booted the kernel, then, using build.sh, i built distribution sets and untarred them into /.  I then installed the new etc.tgz package using etcupdate and selected [Y} to rebuild my device nodes.  Then on reboot
i receive the above described errors.

i'm completely confused.  does anyone have any ides for solutions to this?

oh, by the way, here's the output from uname -a
$ uname -a
NetBSD bork 1.6ZC NetBSD 1.6ZC (GENERIC) #0: Wed Oct  8 21:46:18 EDT 2003  root@bork:/usr/build/src/obj/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC i386

thanks for any help,

--joe